given a divident to buy shares where i work

by randy milko
(kenora ontario)

I was given a dividend to buy shares in the company where I work should I be paying taxes on it....I do not receive any money

Comments for given a divident to buy shares where i work

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 05, 2019
Tax on dividends
by: Mike

Hey Randy,

Tax on dividends depends on your personal situation and whether you hold the shares in a tax sheltered account. Unless you hold the shares in a tax sheltered account then usually dividends become part of your taxable income and would be liable for dividend taxes. You say you haven't received any money - maybe you received extra shares? Again, this would normally be taxable as well if it was held in a taxable account. It sounds like you need to speak to a financial advisor and declare the full story to him or her so you can determine how much tax you should be paying here.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask Mike a question.

Mike - six-figure dividend earner

Got a BURNING dividend question for 6-figure dividend earner Mike Roberts?

What is it that you really want to know about investing?
Submit a query and Mike will write a page in response.

PLEASE NOTE - in accordance with our terms of use, responses are meant for education / interest only. We do not give specific financial advice.

[ ? ]

Author Information (optional)

To receive credit as the author, enter your information below.

(first or full name)

(e.g., City, State, Country)

Submit Your Contribution

  •  submission guidelines.

(You can preview and edit on the next page)

What Other Visitors Have Said

Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...

Retirement Calc dividend stocks 
If your retirement income is based on dividends and not selling stock, retirement calculators with sequence of returns built in would not model the income …

Click here to write your own.